Monday, March 11, 2013

Today's challenge: #MeatlessMonday

My veggie burger and salad in Vancouver, BC last summer.
Boot camp is back! After a week off for Spring Break, I'm sure many of you - including vets - were feeling the effects today. 

This week's challenge is actually a monthly challenge.  For each Monday during the next 4 weeks of boot camp, I challenge each of you to make it a meatless monday

I actually started doing this not long ago myself.  Last Monday I had these delicious black bean wraps with avocado salsa.  This week's dinner?  Good Measure Meals fresh, locally-prepared vegetarian meatloaf with parsley potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.  Yum.

Why go meatless? 

According to the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins, Americans consume 8 ounces of meat per day on average (including processed meats, beef, pork, poultry, fish and game meats) – 45% more than recommended. Going meatless just one day a week can make a difference - and even reduce your risk of  cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
 
Not only is going meatless once a week good for your health, but it can also help limit your carbon footprint - saving resources like fresh water and fossil fuels.

Why Monday?

Monday is the first day of the week, making it the perfect time to plan our meals, evaluate our food choices and set our plans for the coming week.  
 
Make each Monday meatless and you have an automatic reminder to start your week off on a nutritious note. Every week becomes another opportunity to focus on health.

But I love my morning chicken sausage and turkey bacon! 
Try a vegetarian sausage and/or vegetarian bacon instead, or substitute eggs for meat.  Make eggs healthier by using 1 egg + 1 egg white instead of 2 eggs.

I eat a sandwich everyday for lunch and I can't imagine one without meat! 
Make a peanut butter sandwich with banana instead of jelly or try almond or cashew butter for a different flavor.  Not a nut fan or have a nut allergy?   Try filling a wrap or whole wheat pita with veggies and hummus

My husband won't eat dinner without meat.   I don't see how this can work in my home?
Start out with vegetarian versions of familiar dishes.  Think eggplant parmesan, vegetarian lasagna, bean burritos or tacos, or a veggie plate with a rainbow of colors. 

Looking for ideas?  Try three of my favorite resources for meatless recipes!

Vegetarian Times
Cooking Light
Meatless Monday
 

No comments:

Post a Comment