Tuesday, March 26, 2013

This Week's Challenge: Eat to Replete

I don't know about all of you, but I can't eat before morning boot camp.  So when I reach my front door afterwards, I'm ravenous.  My first instinct is to reach for carbs, especially if I'm feeling like I need a boost. 

But don't forget the protein.

Aim for 30 grams of protein within 45 minutes of finishing a workout to improve recovery.  How can you do this?  Here are 3 of my favorite ways to get about 30 grams after a tough morning at boot camp:

Smoothie
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup 1% milk
1 banana
1 cup frozen fruit

Add milk to blender.  Blend in frozen fruit, then banana, then yogurt.  Blend until smooth.

Eggs & Veggies
2 whole eggs  + 1 egg white, scrambled
1/2-1 cup sauteed veggies (I like onions, garlic, peppers and spinach)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper

Saute veggies in nonstick skillet until tender.  Whisk eggs and cheese together, add salt and pepper then pour eggs over cooked veggies in skillet until no longer runny.  Fold and serve.

Nut Butter & Banana Sandwich with milk
2 slices protein-rich bread (I like Ezekial with 4 grams of protein / slice)
2 Tbsp natural peanut or almond butter
1 banana
12 oz 1% milk

Of course, protein bars and powders CAN be a shortcut, but I prefer to get my nutrients from real food.  And unless you are in a hurry, you should too..

Share your favorite ways to refuel on our Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment