Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Welcome!

Hey there everyone! If you’ve read my bio, you already know a bit about me, and if you are a boot camp vet, you may even know me personally from camp. I started boot camp last August when my friend Josh mentioned how he needed to get back in shape. I jokingly said "we should do that boot camp at the Baptist church" and before I knew it there we were at 5:30am in early August ready to go!

I’m still amazed by how much my fitness level improved in the first four weeks. Day one I couldn’t even do one real pushup. By the end of four weeks, I could do 15 in a minute. By the end of November, I was up to 33. I finished my one mile run (let’s be honest and say fast walk) in 12:30 on my first day. By the end of the first month, I ran one mile in 10:01 and by November, my time had dropped to 9:20. I have counseled hundreds if not thousands of patients on how to reach their weight goals, including talking with them about exercise, but never really saw first hand the difference it makes.  Now I do.

So my purpose here? For all of you out there struggling to reach your weight goals, nutrition may be the missing piece. Paul’s blog sheds some light on what I do with each individual. My approach lies in asking lots of questions to truly understand each person’s unique lifestyle, schedule, food preferences, habits, challenges, and barriers and piecing that all together to come up with a plan that is realistic to help you reach your goals long term.

I don’t believe in a "one size fits all" approach or quick fix diets. Successful weight change takes time, and sometimes becomes more about changing behavior than food (although changing food is a big part of it too!).

Send me your questions, thoughts, misconceptions and beliefs about weight loss and nutrition and I’m going to do my best to answer them thoughtfully and honestly.

In the meantime, eat well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was so excited to see that this boot camp has a nutritionist on staff and even more excited that you actually participate in the work out! I'm starting boot camp next week and I'm training for my first marathon. I'm not at my ideal weight and would like to lose about 10 pounds before summer. Can you tell me how I should adjust my eating habits to accommodate all of the exercise and still lose the extra pounds? Thanks and I look forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Regina. Welcome to SIU! Please send an email to me through the SIU website and we can get the process started! I look forward to meeting you.

    ReplyDelete